Common Questions About Black Mold

By Mold Specialist

April 25, 2021

Mold is a type of fungi that grows in places with high humidity and poor ventilation. Mold can grow on surfaces like wood, plants, cardboard boxes, drywall, or ceiling tiles. Some types of mold are toxic and others produce toxins when they grow. Black mold is one type of toxic mold that sometimes appears after flooding or other water damage to buildings such as houses and schools. If you have any black mold on your property or inside your home, it should be removed by a professional immediately!

When you think of black mold, the first thought that comes to mind is usually a horror movie. Black mold has been around for centuries and was once used in ancient cultures as an antibiotic.

 

What is black mold?

Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of fungus that grows on materials such as wood, paper, and fabric. It produces spores that can cause allergic reactions in humans and animals. Black mold thrives in humid environments with poor ventilation like basements or attics. Exposure to black mold may result in symptoms such as itching eyes or skin rashes.

It can grow on wood or paper and produce allergens and irritants. Some people even develop symptoms like coughing, wheezing, throat irritation, nasal congestion, eye irritation, and headaches when exposed to black mold spores for prolonged periods of time. The most common types of buildings where one would find black mold are homes with humidifiers or air conditioners that have not been properly maintained; attics without proper ventilation; crawlspaces with leaking pipes or condensation dripping from the ceiling; bathrooms with inadequate ventilation near showers or bathtubs without exhaust fans; basements where water has accumulated.

black-mold

Is black mold dangerous?

Mold has been around for centuries, but it wasn’t until the Industrial Era that we started building homes with damp walls and poorly ventilated attics. The combination of these two factors led to a rise in cases of respiratory conditions like asthma and allergies. And while some types of mold are harmless, others can cause serious illness if they’re allowed to grow unchecked inside your home.

Black mold is a type of fungus that can be found in many households, but it’s not always dangerous. It often grows on wet surfaces such as wood and carpeting. Black mold can also grow from the bottom up, which means that it will show up even if you don’t have any moisture problems. It may take a long time before black mold starts to pose health threats, so make sure to keep an eye out for symptoms like coughing or feverishness.

Many people are concerned about black mold because of its color. It’s true that black molds can be visually disturbing, but not all types of black mold will cause a person to get sick. The risk is high when the spores from this type of fungus come into contact with skin or inhaled by someone in your household who has asthma and other allergies.

If you have any concerns about whether or not you might have an issue with black mold, it’s important to call professionals immediately rather than trying to remove it yourself! If left untreated, some types of these fungi could lead to complications such as brain damage or even death.

 

Can black mold make you sick, cause cancer, or kill you?

Black molds can be found in virtually any climate, and they are usually associated with dampness and poor ventilation. They thrive on moisture-laden substances such as wood, paper, foodstuffs, and fabric.

Black mold exposure can be a serious health hazard. Mold spores are microscopic and float in the air, meaning that anyone who breathes them will inhale them into their lungs. Black mold is found indoors in damp, humid places like bathrooms or kitchens with leaking pipes and causes allergic reactions for some people.

In the case of cancer, while there is no research that specifically links black mold to increased cases of any type of cancer in humans, it has been linked to animal tumors. Mold typically produces mycotoxins which can enter your body and circulate through your bloodstream where they may affect organs such as your liver or kidneys. The U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that “exposure to these toxins could lead to various diseases including reduced immune response, neurotoxic effects on learning and memory function, adverse reproductive outcomes, cardiovascular disease” among other possible health problems.

black-mold

What is the best cleaner to kill and remove black mold?

Mix baking soda and water to create a paste. Scrub the black mold with this mixture, then rinse off all of the residues with hot soapy water. You may need to reapply if you can’t get it to come clean on the first try.

Vinegar is also great at killing black mold because it’s acidic in nature! Simply mix vinegar and salt together (about one part vinegar for every two parts salt) until they form a liquidy consistency that will easily cover your entire surface without needing scrubbing or cloths. Let sit for 30 minutes before wiping away any excess residue left behind effortlessly with just paper towels or rags.

Bleach is a good option too. It can kill 99% of all germs including molds like black mold dead with just one application! And that’s not even where it ends: this product can remove stains from a variety of materials such as carpets, fabric or paper products if they’ve been affected by black mold too (as long as you use fresh water to rinse them off).

 

Conclusion

Black mold is a serious concern for homeowners and business owners alike. It’s important to know the facts about this potentially dangerous substance before it becomes an issue in your home or office. Whether you are looking to purchase a new property, or have questions about black mold removal, feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to help you.