Molds, which belong to the fungus kingdom, are more than simply annoyances. These microorganisms thrive in wet environments and reproduce rapidly by releasing ‘spores’ into the environment.
These spores can induce allergic reactions and respiratory issues in adults, including asthma.
Mold spores in the air can swiftly colonize new locations. As a result, mold inspection and cleanup must be done right away.
Many homeowners attempt mold inspection and remediation. Here are the most common blunders they’ll make:
First Mistake: Assuming a Visual Inspection Is Enough
A visual inspection can be useful, but it is never enough.
Allowing yourself to believe that a visual inspection is sufficient to assess the amount of the mold problem, the type of mold, and how to remove it is a mistake.
A comprehensive assessment is required before putting together a mold remediation plan.
The air samples and mold samples are usually tested by a reputable mold inspection and treatment business. The first test determines whether the mold spore count within your home is higher than what you’d anticipate in your area, while the second (swab) test determines the mold type.
Mold inspectors must also inspect any parts of your home where mold colonies might be present. As a result, don’t be shocked if a mold inspection demands access to your kitchen, bathroom, roof, basement, or attic.
Only by identifying the fundamental cause of a problem can mold treatment be successful.
Ignoring Relative Humidity is Mistake #2. (RH)
Mold grows in damp environments.
You have a moisture problem if you find mold in the crawl space, under the cabinet/sink, or in your attic/basement.
In their houses, many people employ swamp coolers or humidifiers. Humidifiers are machines that add moisture to dry air.
If the relative humidity in your home climbs above 55 percent, mold will thrive. If the RH in your home reaches this level but is not rectified, any mold examination and subsequent mold remediation will be ineffective.
An RH sensor can be purchased at a local home improvement store, or you can hire an expert to assess the humidity level in your home.
Environmental elements that lead to mold growth in your house are not overlooked by trained mold inspectors.
Mistake #3: Attempting to Resurrect a Dead Cause
When mold settles on the surface, spores can be removed. However, once mold spores have colonized porous surfaces like wood, upholstery fabric, wallpaper, drywall, and so on, it’s nearly impossible to get rid of them.
At best, attempting to fix highly contaminated goods and materials is a band-aid solution.
This method of mold eradication and cleanup is ineffective. In the long run, your mold problem may worsen.
A skilled mold remediation technician will always advise that contaminated materials be disposed of as soon as possible and safely.
Mistake #4: During mold removal, relying on the eyeball test
Many people use visual indicators to judge if they have entirely eradicated mold during a DIY mold clean-up.
Mold, on the other hand, grows in places where your family or employees can’t see it. Mold spores could be adhering to draperies, clothing, or carpets, waiting to form new colonies.
Mold can grow behind tiles/carpets, between walls, and other hidden areas that are difficult to see.
Mistake #5: Spreading Mold While Trying to Remove It
One of the most significant advantages of hiring a mold remediation business rather than attempting mold removal as a weekend project is that trained specialists understand how to prevent mold from spreading during the clean-up procedure.
To prevent mold spores from spreading, cover the target area with thick plastic sheets (as seen in the video below). Mold spores can spread throughout your home or office if you don’t isolate the area to be cleaned.
Mold remediation businesses may utilize equipment to produce negative air pressure in the target area to keep mold spores from spreading to other sections of the home or office in some situations. To remove contaminated debris, a professional mold removal team will use vacuums with HEPA filters.
Mistake #6: Assuming that bleach will solve the mold problem
Homeowners believe that bleach may be used to treat a variety of mold issues.
While bleach can remove traces from solid and impervious surfaces like a bathroom tub or tiles, it will not work on porous surfaces like wood. Mold development will persist beneath the surface in the latter situation.
Bleach will, in most situations, accomplish exactly what it says it will: remove the color from spores. As a result, for a long time, there will be no obvious symptoms of mold growth. People in a house or business will continue to be at risk from bleached mold.
Ignoring Safety Precautions is Mistake #7.
Mold can cause mild to severe respiratory difficulties in certain people. Others emit antigens that trigger allergic symptoms similar to those experienced by people with other sensitivities.
As a result, it’s critical to wear protective gear that can be thrown away or washed following mold treatment.
Respiratory protection is also required. Coughing, wheezing, and even asthma can result from touching mold with bare hands or inhaling in mold spores.
Mold and contaminated materials, such as carpeting, textiles, drywall, and other materials, should be properly disposed of in sealed bags.