Why is Mold Dangerous?
If your Tulsa home has mold, it's important that you call a mold remediation company to come out and take care of the problem as soon as possible. Depending on the type of mold you have, it could have a negative impact on your health and on the health of everyone else that lives in the house.
Symptoms of mold exposure can range from mild to severe. Some of the milder symptoms include stufy nose, wheezing, and itchy eyes or skin. Some of the more severe reactions can occur for people with asthma, and include fever and shortness of breath.
On top of that, mold can be highly destructive and it can also spread quickly. As much as you might wish that it would just go away, that's not going to happen. Once you have a significant mold problem in your home, hiring a professional for mold removal is the safest and best way to take care of the problem.
What Causes Mold Problems?
When someone first discovers black mold in their home the first thing they often wonder is how it got there. It's normal to start questioning what caused a mold problem, but the reality is that mold is very common, so there's no point in getting upset about it. Unless you are extremely diligent, and inspect your home frequently, and hire a professional to do it as well, there's very little you can do to prevent mold if you have the two key ingredients for it. Those ingredients are moisture and mold spores.
Mold spores are everywhere so there's no way to prevent those from getting inside of your home.
The other ingredient needed for a mold problem is moisture, and if you're proactive you can often prevent moisture from causing problems. Moistures gets into homes form leaking roofs, improperly sealed windows and doors, leaking pipes, and various other sources. The best way to keep moisture form getting inside of your home where it can cause problems is to be proactive. Keep up on regular home maintenance, and hire a professional to inspect and look for mold at least once a year. This won't cost you much, and if a mold problem is caught early it can save you a small fortune in mold remediation costs.
What Types Of Mold Are Commonly Found In Homes?
- Stachybotrys. This is the type of mold that people are talking about when they say toxic black mold. This mold is easily recognizable due to it's dark color and spotted pattern. It thrives in dark, moist environments, and it is a toxic mold that can cause severe allergic reactions.* Alternaria. Similar in appearance to Stachybotrys, the main difference is that it has a green hue instead of black. It's a very common mold that grows whenever there is moisture around, and it is also known to cause allergic reactions.
- Aureobasidium. This mold likes to grow behind wallpaper, so if you have wallpaper in your home be on the lookout for peeling with pink or black splotches behind it. This mold is also known to cause allergic reactions.
- Chaetomimum. This mold has a cotton-like appearance and is often found in water damaged buildings. If you discover that your home has a leak, or you have something cause a flood, this is a type of mold to be on the lookout for. Like other molds it can cause an allergic reaction, and it's also been known to cause skin infections.
Is Black Mold Really Dangerous?
If you find black mold in your home and are alarmed then you've reacted exactly how a reasonable person should react. No, you don't need to panic, but you definitely need to be concerned. Black mold is often called toxic black mold, which should give you good idea of how dangerous it can be. Many people that are exposed to it won't have a major adverse reaction, but quite a few will. The most common issues revolve around allergies. Black mold is known to cause allergies, and it has also been known to trigger a life threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylactic shock. Black mold can also be dangerous for people with breathing problems such as COPD, asthma, and chronic bronchitis.
The reason that black mold is often called toxic black mold is due to the fact that it can produce mycotoxins. What are mycotoxins? Mycotoxins are substances produced by some strains of mold that can have a major negative impact on your health. They can cause breathing problems, organ damage, and even suppress the immune system. What makes mycotoxins so dangerous is the fact that they can impact the health of people that are otherwise healthy.
What Should You Do?
Mold removal done by a qualified professional is the only way to ensure that your home will have all of the dangerous mold in it properly removed. This isn't the kind of job you should attempt yourself. It takes specialized training, materials, equipment, and often experience as a contractor to deal with a mold problem. When you hire a Tulsa mold remediation company like ours, there is a sequence that we follow:
- We perform a mold inspection and look for any locations in your home that have mold in them. If we can contain the mold in these areas while removing it then you can stay in your home. However, if the problem is severe and widespread you may have to stay somewhere else for a short time.
- After an inspection, we will provide you with a report, recommendations, and an estimate for mold remediation.
- The source of the moisture will be identified. Then we will repair the problem.
- If the area with mold may have porous surfaces or materials that cannot be cleaned, then those areas will be removed. Then any non-porous surfaces will be cleaned with special cleansers that kill mold and also help to keep it from returning. All mold covered materials should be removed from your home in sealed plastic bags.
- Once all of the dangerous mold is gone, the moisture problem is dealt with, and the area is dry, we will repair the damage. Any materials that had to be removed will be replaced, and your home should be restored to a state that is as good, or better, than it looked before it had a mold problem!